Amazon & Walmart duel it out on price, while Target plays a different game.
Ottawa, Canada – November 30, 2016 – Today, 360pi, the leader in product and pricing intelligence, unveiled their latest Holiday Insights report focused expressly on Black Friday 2016. This special edition profiles the observed tactics and strategies of Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart on this crucial shopping date with a spotlight on the Electronics category.
Some key takeaways include:
- Electronics was a key Black Friday battleground – accounting for 38% of Walmart’s flyer in terms of page count, 28% of Target’s, and less surprisingly 83% of Best Buy’s;
- Walmart stayed true to their “Dare to Compare” campaign, maintaining a very aggressive 5% gap to Amazon’s pricing on a broad assortment of 23,000 Electronics products;
- Meanwhile, Target played a very different game with blanket promotions like “10 Days of Deals”, doorbusters, and bounceback gift cards, to help mitigate the average 20% price gap to Amazon in Electronics for the same sample set;
- Best Buy appeared especially price competitive on Samsung branded Electronics, notably the top two Amazon reported Best-Selling Televisions, suggesting another dimension to the already close Best Buy-Samsung relationship;
- Amazon changed prices on 29% of a 3,500 product sample in their Computers & Tablets category on Black Friday from the day prior.
This special edition Black Friday report is part of 360pi’s fourth annual award-winning Holiday Insights Series, delivering subscribers exclusive weekly holiday product and pricing trends across several major retailers, including Amazon, Walmart and Target. Sign up for the Holiday Insights Series to download the Black Friday report and to receive 360pi’s special Cyber Monday analysis, a must-have for every retailer and brand manufacturer this holiday.
360pi derives profitable insights from product and pricing big data to help leading omnichannel retailers, etailers, and brand manufacturers compete and win with shoppers. 360pi’s customer base accounts for over $US200 billion in annual product sales and includes Ace Hardware, Build.com, Overstock.com, and Walgreens, along with several Fortune 500 consumer products companies. With the majority of in-store purchases being influenced online, 360pi helps retailers and brands successfully navigate the multi-channel landscape with real-time insight into who is selling what, where, when, why and for how much. Ultimately, 360pi customers make smarter decisions faster to drive increased revenues and margins across all channels.
Ketner Group PR + Marketing (for 360pi)
(613) 562-2525 x 511